June 21, 2009

Alexandria Mikhaela Bleu: much loved 1989-2009


Xander aka. "Boo Bear" aka. "Turtle Ears" aka. "Xandee Boo"

Twenty years ago I called all over the state of Montana to find a Himalayan kitten. My friend had a little fuzz ball named Merlin and I decided I needed a copy cat. By luck, I had a meeting to attend in Missoula and there you were at the local petshop. The moment I laid eyes on you, I knew you were coming home with me. Jasmine didn't look at me, meow at me, or forgive me for three weeks.

You soon displayed your fetching talent: paper being your medium of choice, closely followed by rubber bands. And wow, could you jump. Your gymnastic talent has never been surpassed by any other cat in the household.
I remember with joy the night your kittens were born. Unlike the expectation that had been set that you would go off to a dark, solitary place to have your kittens, you wanted me near you and followed me throughout the house while you were laboring. Three beautiful kittens became part of our family for the next two months. Happily Clarence Alabaster Tuttle (CAT) went off to live with a great friend and we got to see your son grow up through the years. He was a little bitty mite, just like you.

I always wondered how such a small kitty could have such heavy feet. You would stomp on me as I was going to sleep at night and you felt like you must be the size of a lion. And how could such a big purr come out of you?

I still think you swallowed one of my ruby earrings nursing on my ear when you were just a baby kitten. It was very startling to wake up to my ear being all slobbery and a rumbling purr hitting my ears drum.

And I'll probably always recall tripping over you and bumping down the stairs. I didn't want to hurt you or break a 30 cent kitchen glass. I still woudn't have wanted to hurt you, but I sure would have traded that drinking glass for the bruise on my tail bone for the next 6 months.

You seemed to really enjoy being a cabin cat. Over the years you mellowed out and became a silent traveler. When we moved from Montana to Minnesota you were hoarse from meowing for 19 hours straight.

I still regret taking away your pleasure of sleeping in your blue cushion. Had I known by putting Max in it, in an attempt at introducing her to you, would result in you never getting in it again, I would have never had done that. I'm also sorry for the time I forgot you were outside and you were stuck swinging from the porch by your halter in the rain.

I'm glad you got to enjoy so much outdoor time with Gramcat and Grampcat the last few months. For years, being outside seemed to be your favorite activity whiling away the hours in the warm sun.

Xander, your paw prints will forever remain upon my heart. Thank you for sharing the past 20 years with me. I wish I would have been home this spring to pet you, hug you, and be stomped on by you, just one more time. May cat heaven be filled with cat nip, tender grass shoots, sun beams, soft cushions, and stacks of yellow open cans of Gorton Clams. I miss you, I love you. Goodbye. -allison

2 comments:

Larrie, Allison, and Jessica Thorne said...

And let's not forget aka. "Squeak"! You so often sounded like you needed your fan belt tightened once you got that purr in motion. <3

Larrie, Allison, and Jessica Thorne said...

And we'll always have fond memories of your fur following us around the world.