January 5, 2009

Terminology differences

20 years ago... A wonderful day skiing at Big Sky, Montana.  Saw a sign for a 1/2 hour foot massage.  Ahhh!  Relief for sore feet.  A soak in a warm foot bath followed by the perfect attention to aching toes that had been in ski boots all day.  Almost heaven!
 
Fast forward to last week... new shoes, hot sand, rough pavement, aching feet.  Saw a sign for a 1/2 hour foot massage.  Ahhh!  Relief for sore feet.  Went to appointment.  Was asked to remove clothing and lay down on floor.  What???!  What more do I need to remove for a foot massage?  My sandals are already off my feet and I'm wearing shorts.  And wouldn't this be easier if I was sitting on a chair?  Well... Turns out that in Kerala India in an ayurvedic practice "Foot Massage" means you lay down on the floor and are massaged with hot coconut oil with a foot.  There are somethings that once in a life is way more than enough.

No comments: