January 6, 2009

Sorry Saari

Over the holidays we were priveledged and honored to attend a wedding in Kerala, India.  I decided to wear a Saari for the occasion. 

It became apparent pretty quickly when other guests started to arrive before the ceremony that I wasn't dressed quite right.  We didn't have a common spoken language to discuss the problem but I'm pretty sure I was being asked questions like:

  • Are you going to a Toga Party?
  • What... did your husband dress you?  (Actually the answer to the question was yes!)
  • Did you get your dressing instructions off the internet?  (Well... the answer to that was yes, too)
Luckily (or not) I was able to convey a hand gestured request for help rectifying the attire faux paux.  I was imaging this to be a quick tuck here or there.  Instead I found myself quickly unwrapped all the way down to my petticoat.  RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PARKING LOT!  I fear there are now pictures of me floating around on YouTube or FlickR somewhere because there sure were a lot a people with video and camera equipment aimed my way.  The attached picturer is an "after".  I thought about enclosing a "before" picture, but when I looked at one, I could totally understand the concern of the women who helped me.  When we finally returned to the hotel later that day, I learned I actually had the top on backward too.  I guess I should feel lucky that no one decided to fix that problem for me in the parking lot before I could resist.

No comments: