October 17, 2008

Jessie News

I started school this week.  I have been very busy adjusting to all the new people and stuff.  I get on the bus at 7:30 in the morning.  The bus drops me off at 4:00 in the afternoon.  I'm sending some pictures of my school.  The teachers are called ma'am, and the speak English with an Indian accent.  I don't always understand them.  So, I have to ask several times to understand what they are telling me.  I am starting soccer too.  I am excited about that.  I have math class and I start Spanish class.  My room number is 2-B.  2 for 2nd grade, and B for the second room of second grade.  There are three teachers in the room.  When I go to Spanish class, I go to a different room.  There are only windows in the classrooms.  The hallways are open to the outside.  The school does not have outer doors, either.  We have a lot of guards around the school. [Note: the school is about 15 km from where we live.  It is "out in the country" on about 20 acres of ground.  They have a big soccer field and a playground.  There are three interconnected buildings one for each grade grouping: primary, middle, high school.  The kindergarten is in a separate building.  There are about 350 students at the moment. The whole property is surrounded by a 6 foot high wall, and there is a gate on the inbound road with guards.  It is not an easy place to get into.  I think the wall is more to keep things out, than to keep things in.  Things that are not necessarily healthy for kids, like big snakes or wild dogs.]

My school has uniforms.  Our colors are orange and blue.  I am in the nurturers house, and it's color is green.  The houses are just like in Harry Potter – we get points for being good, and lose points for not being so good. On Monday I wear a blue polo shirt with a skort ('cause of being a girl), and on Tuesday, I wear a tee shirt with my house color.  Wed – Fri I wear an orange shirt with blue shorts because we spend a lot of time outside.  We have special socks and shoes, too!

Last weekend we went to Mysore http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysore to see some old palaces and stuff.  We went to this place that had monkeys roaming around.  They were fun to watch.  It was a really long day (18 hours).  I was glad to get home, and I was very tired.  The crowds were very big – lots and lots of people.  I am still getting used to that.  Some people tried to touch my skin.  Maybe to see if it felt the same as theirs.  I didn't like that.

The bananas on our tree are still green.  It must take awhile to ripen.  The name of my school is Inventure Academy (http://www.inventureacademy.com)  I have made many new friends at school.  The first couple of days I was the new kid, and everybody wanted to be with me.  I didn't like that too much as I needed some space for me.  But now I'm just one of the kids.  India only feels like home because this is where mom and dad are.  When we get back to Minnesota, that'll feel like home for the same reason.  There are a couple of kids that I know from my neighborhood that go to my school.  It's nice to have some familiar faces.  It's still pretty warm here.  And we're getting ready for the fall monsoon.  Dad says that is when the clouds come back from the Himalayas to the ocean.

No comments: