May 4, 2011

What I will miss...

As we leave India, I have been asked many times what I will miss.  That is a hard question to comprehensively answer and I'm sure this won't be complete.  Here are some of the top items, though, in no specific order after the beginning:

  • First and foremost, I will miss my new friends and colleagues. Really, this is the same thing I missed most from the United States too, along with my family.  Lucky for me, I began this adventure in the era of Skype, Facebook, Blogs, and ubiquitous email, so relationships were more easily maintained than even five years ago.
  • Fresh fruits and vegetables every single day.  You've never tasted fruits or vegetables until you've had them right off the plant. Special mention: Mangoes.
  • Discovering and trying fruits I've never seen or heard of previously. Special mention: Jack Fruit.
  • The music.
  • The birds.
  • The monkeys.
  • The flowers.
  • The weather.
  • The geckos.
  • The diversity.
  • Fantastic and inexpensive spas.
  • Wearing open toed sandals, every day.
  • Higly quality, reasonably priced domestic airlines.
  • The beautiful fabrics. Seeing the elaborate designed clothing on people along side the road is like watching art in motion.
  • Ready and inexpensive access to the beach.
  • Traveling easily to culturally different places.
  • Seeing the origin of things. For example, I never knew what a tea plant looked like or that a cocoa bean comes from a soft ball size pod.
  • Seeing something new and unusual all the time.
  • And much more...
Some people have asked me what I won't miss.  Since I won't miss it, I decided it's not worth writing about. :-)  Ok, ok, I admit... the traffic.

No comments: