April 7, 2010

Printer Saga

Day 1 - Hinge broke on printer, a freebie that Larrie had won just before we moved here

Day 2 - So, after driving around for an hour or more after dropping Alli off, we finally find the HP Service Center.  I go up (3rd Floor) and inquire if they can fix my printer.  The guy follows me down to the car to view the printer.  After a robust discussion with our driver, Imtiaz - it took 2 min just to agree on Kannada as the language, and another 5 min to establish that no, HP could not fix our printer, we got the number of some guy who supposedly can fix it.  Imtiaz called the guy, I talked with him, Imtiaz talked with him, and it was agreed that the guy would come to the house to fix the printer, and he would be there in 2 hours.  It was 11:30.  So, we begin the scurry back to the house from behind Commercial street somewhere.  Traffic was horrendous everywhere today, but we made it back to the house before 1pm.  The printer guy called 2-3 times more to confirm the model number and what was broken.  He talked with me, but I could not understand him, so Imtiaz set him straight, or so I thought.

So, it's 4:45 and the land line goes off.  It's the front gate wanting to know if I had someone coming in. Yes, send them in.  Two guys on a scooter with a tool kit and one printer already on the scooter, show up to our front door.  After spending 20 min with the printer, scratching heads, and two telephone calls, they announce they had to take the printer, and they would either call me tomorrow or bring it back tomorrow - no sure which.  I asked if they wanted the box - no, not needed, sir.

At the end of the day, someone, somewhere, took our printer on a scooter with two guys and now two printers on it.  I think their shop is somewhere by Imtiaz's house on the other side of Bangalore.  Truly, Incredible India!  Time will tell if we will ever see it again.  I did find out that the model is not in India, but the J6500 is Rs 13,000, and this particular problem is common.  Oh, and the best part - these guys are not HP, they're independent.  So, hey, no worries; ya just gotta keep swimmin'.

Next day - Printer returned successfully for a very reasonable price!

No comments: